You all like your smartphones. Scratch that, you probably love it. But, what would you do if you lose yours? Or worse what if it gets stolen? You would probably want to find its location. But you are not that much of a techie. Well, fear not. In this article, we have got a few neat tricks that you can use to find your lost phone.
Method 1: Using Find My Device (For Android users)
- Open a web browser.
- Go to the Find My Device website. Here it is: https://www.google.com/android/find
- Log in with the email address or phone number and password of the device that you lost.
- From the left pane select, your phone’s name and Find My Device will start to look around for your phone.
- Soon, it will show your phone’s location on the screen.
Find my device cannot locate your phone if it is switched off or if it does not have a cellular/Wi-Fi connection. After that is done you will see three options on the left pane, Play Sound, Lock and Erase.
If you choose Play Sound, then your phone will ring for 5 minutes even if it is set on silent. Choosing Lock will lock your device. You might be asked to give a password for unlocking it later. You can enter a message and a recovery phone number if you like. And choosing Erase will clear all of your data but you won’t be able to locate it anymore.
Method 2: Using Google Maps (For Android users)
- Use a web browser on your computer to open google maps.
- Log in with the same account that you used on the lost phone.
- Select the three horizontal lines on the left side of the search bar. This will open the menu.
- From the menu, choose the Your timeline option. You will be brought to the location history menu.
- By selecting the year, month and date from the respective boxes, you can choose the date on which you lost your phone.
- Now you can see the location of your device on the screen.
You won’t be able to locate your phone using this method if it is switched off or if it does not have a cellular/Wi-Fi connection. You can watch your phone’s location on other days if it has been stolen for several days.
Method 3: Using Find My app (For iPhone users)
- Take another Apple device and go to icloud.com/find and sign in. Alternatively, you can use the Find My app.
- After signing in, select the Find iPhone option.
- Choose a device for viewing its location.
- Now you can see it on the map. If your iPhone is close by, then you can make it play a sound.
- There is an option called Mark As Lost. If you choose it then your phone will be locked with a passcode. You can also make it display a message that you want. But you won’t be able to use Apple pay anymore.
- You can also choose to Erase the contents of your device. This involves all of your contact information, photos, apps, credit information and so on. But you can no longer trace the location of your device.
Method 4: Using My Mobile (For Samsung users)
- Use a browser to go to find my mobile.
- Choose the sign-in option and enter your email and password.
- You may have to nod to an “I’m not a robot” message.
- Choose the sign-in option.
- Now, choose your Samsung phone.
- Shortly you will be able to see your device’s location on the screen.
Find my mobile cannot locate your phone if it is switched off or if it does not have a cellular/Wi-Fi connection. You can find Play Sound, Lock My Device and Wipe My Device option just like in the above methods.
These are the various ways in which you can locate your phone if you ever come across the misfortune of losing it. There are even provisions to lock your phone or to erase all the contents of your phone. Now, you can locate your phone too.